Yes, I managed to finish, it wasn't as fast as I wanted but at the end it was taking everything in me to just get to the end. 26.2 miles was so much further than I thought it would be. Not to mention even with my "training" on the draw bridges in Florida I was no where near ready for the crazy hills of San Francisco. Overall though I'm glad that I did it. I had a great experience (until the next day) and had a great time exploring the city with my best friend.
After the race we drove to Napa Valley and took in all of the beauty that is Northern California. The next day we set out for a day of wine tasting and that is when my body decided to punish me for running that far. I've never been so sick, one minute I was fine and the next I was extremely tired and just felt terrible. Luckily Liz is an easy travel companion so we ran back to the hotel for a nap, I slept for a few hours and then woke up to start throwing up for the rest of the night. The scariest part to me was that I couldn't even keep water down. I've never experienced that before and felt completely at a loss for what to do to feel better. Luckily I got well enough to get back on a plane to Florida, once on the plane I managed to sleep soundly for the entire 5+ hour flight, in the middle seat no less. Not an easy feat.
After that marathon I completed 3 more half marathons in Florida. Including one with my mom where we beat her personal record by 15 minutes! But since that marathon I've had trouble with finding my love for running again. It's hard for me to get consistent with training and to really make it not feel like a chore. Luckily I have some cool friends. One of mine asked me earlier this year about training for her own marathon, and she nearly had me signed up for another one, thankfully it filled up before I could really commit. Anyways, now I have a group of girls heading to Disney for their Princess Half Marathon. This includes my friend who will have recently completed her first marathon along with two other friends who are going to tackle their first 10K with us. I think it's time that I came out of my running slump and get back into it. I think this is going to be a fun new race for me that might just spark my interest again.

No comments:
Post a Comment