I had a revelation the other day at work. Cuff links are amazing!
I had never heard of cuff links until I interned at a Credit Union while I was in college, it was there that I was first made aware of the men's accessory. One day the IT guy came in wearing a stylish pair of cuff links, one of he women in my department then went on and on about how she found cuff links incredibly sexy. I hadn't thought much about them up to that point, I was still in college and most of the guys that I new wore strictly t-shirts (no cuff links required for those.) That same year I brought my then boyfriend with me to the company's Christmas party, I made him go out and buy a nice shirt to coordinate with the dress that I had. He ended up buying a nice shirt from Dillards. It was only once we got home that he realized that there weren't any buttons on the cuffs and that he would need links. Being a cheap college student he didn't have any. Having run out of time and not having the spare money to go out and buy a new set of cuff links we had to come up with our own solution - we used safety pins. It should also be noted that he didn't have a black belt and had to borrow one of my that was adorned with small studs in a flower pattern. For the most part he looked presentable if you didn't look to hard. There is unfortunately one formal picture of us in front of the tree, in it you can see not only the belt but also the safety pinned cuffs.
At this point in my life it didn't really bother me too much that he didn't have cuff links, hell up until a few months before I didn't really know that they existed. After the party I went home to visit my parents and ended up coming back with a plain pair of cuff links for him that had once belonged to my grandfather. Nothing fancy, but they would do for the next time we had to plan anything fancy. Unfortunately (or actually fortunately), we broke up before there was ever another opportunity for him to wear the links.
Looking back on this time in my life makes me realize how much I have grown up since then. I fully understand why my co-worker thought that cuff links were so sexy. When I see a guy wearing not only cuff links but maybe a pair that coordinate perfectly with their outfit or are a little creative (example: one of the guys I work with has cuff links that are the gears of a watch - so sharp) I find myself instantly intrigued. I also work with a lot of gay men, these men love their cuff links, ones that I have seen include pictures of Marilyn Monroe and hour glasses. Having had these experiences now I don't know that I could go back to dating someone who doesn't own a nice pair of cuff links, to me they define a grown-up man who has his shit together. It probably makes little sense to judge someone based on if their shift cuffs are held together, but I think it is an important item.
So there it is. My opinion on cuff links and their subtle sexiness on men. What a way to update my blog. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment